Registration Opens Friday August 17, 2018
TCSW Northeast continuing education workshop
Friday September 28, 2018
9:00 am - 12:00 pm
Lions Volunteer Blind Industries
2232 Watauga Road
Johnson City, TN 37601
When Personal Values Conflict With Professional Ethics:
Ethical Dilemmas and Cultural Sensitivity in Working with LGBTQ Populations
The freedom to hold and express one’s religious beliefs is a core value of American society. But what happens when your personal values appear to be in conflict with your professional values and ethical responsibilities? How do you address these conflicts? How do you reconcile your beliefs with your professional duties? This workshop will challenge you to examine your beliefs and values while comparing them to your professional ethics. It will increase your knowledge of the LGBTQ community and provide you with strategies for addressing your internal conflicts surrounding the provision of services.
- Participants will gain a greater sensitivity to and understanding of gay history and culture.
- Participants will receive an overview of the LGBT civil rights movement including a timeline of the marriage equality decision from the Supreme Court
- Participants will gain an understanding of the continued challenges facing the LGBT community and the impact on stigma and access to social services.
- Participants will be challenged to explore their ability to integrate personal values and professional ethics surrounding their views about homosexuality.
- Participants will learn strategies for addressing ethical dilemmas when personal and religious values seem to conflict with the core values of social work